Saturday, February 4, 2012

Update: Keynote Speaker Change

It is with a sad heart I must report that due to unforeseen circumstances, Karen Marie Moning is unable to attend this year's Fantasy on the Bayou Conference as keynote speaker.

In another industry, in a different time and place, and under similar circumstances, you might imagine that this sad news would have derailed the FF&P volunteers' commitment to putting on a kick ass conference that showcases the best of what the romance writing industry and the Fantasy, Futuristic, & Paranormal (FF&P) genre has to offer.

But it didn't.

We stayed strong and (after having a good cry) thought of you, then we buckled down and got to work.  We tapped into FF&P's incredible resources and before the tears on our cheeks had dried... we found ourselves humbled and awed by the warmth, generosity, and support offered in our time of need.

(I swear thinking about this makes me smile and tear up again. In a good way. lol)

So while I must announce that KMM cannot attend this year's conference (and yes we're sending KMM lots of hugs, love, and good thoughts during this time), I can tell you that:

FF&P's 2012 Fantasy on the Bayou conference WILL have a keynote speaker.

And not just any keynote speaker.

(Moooohahahahaha, this is the moment I've been itchin' to get to all day long...)

On Saturday March 3, 2012 at the New Orleans Marriott, Fantasy on the Bayou 2012 attendees will be invited to sit down to a mouth watering meal and listen to the wisdom of a 15 time RITA Award Nominee, who (finally--her words, not mine, lol) took home the coveted RITA in 2005 for her book, HER BEST ENEMY.  By the end of 2012, she will have published 54 novels and 30 novellas with nearly every major publisher in the industry.  She's written for CBS Daytime Dramas, As the World Turns and The Guiding Light.  That's right, you know it... I'm talking about the one, the only...




Maggie is the savior of my sanity--for more reasons that I can name, but #1 on that list has everything to do with her being... the author of twilight vampires (since 1993!) made for grow up girls.  (Thank you, Maggie!!!!)

In 1993, she began her 20 volume (Twilight) vampire series, WINGS IN THE NIGHT, and completed the series in 2011 with the release of TWILIGHT PROPHECY and TWILIGHT FULFILLED (published by MIRA).



This year, Maggie is launching a new series called THE PORTAL that begins September 2012 with the release of LEGACY OF THE WITCH.

I hope you'll join me in welcoming Maggie Shayne to the 2012 Fantasy on the Bayou VIP Speaker lineup and hope to see you at the conference!

Remember, the clock's ticking for registration and hotel reservations (Feb 9 is the last day to reserve the hotel room for the group rate).

Until next time... take care and catch you in New Orleans!
~Staci
FF&P 2012 Conference Co-Chair

PS--Later today, I'll have a page posted with a FAQ (of sorts) that discusses the changes a little more and what it means for the KMM fans.  Until then, feel free to post any comments, concerns, or question you have to this post. Thanks for your patience and support and have a great day!

4 comments:

  1. Great job to the committee!!!

    And thanks to Maggie Shayne for stepping in!!!

    Super exciting!!!

    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woot! Fantastic choice. I'm looking forward to seeing Maggie Shayne and all of you down in New Orleans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie has a place in my heart forever for helping the conference out at a last minutes notice! Plus she's offered some classes on top of that! Amazing person and super talented author! Can't wait to meet her and everyone in NOLA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so jazzed to be coming to New Orleans--my favorite city to visit. This will be my fourth time! I hope lots of you will hang out with me whilen there. Bbig shoes to fill, but I'll do my best!

    ReplyDelete